Wednesday, December 19, 2012

August Wrap Up

August was another good month for me.  I was still on vacation for the first week, so the pups were living it up at my grandpa's.  I also got a new kindle and a new library card.  LOL  After 11 years, my old one finally ran away.  It was pretty worn out.  hehe  My cousin also finished boot camp.  Congrats to her.

Reading wise, it was a decent month.  Although I did find my worst book of the year.  I knew pretty quickly that it wasn't going to work for me, but I had to finish it, I just had to!

1. When You Wish Upon a Duke by Isabella Bradford: B

2. Within Reach by Sarah Mayberry: A-

3. Kiss the Dead by Laurell K. Hamilton: C

4. Never Stay Past Midnight by Mira Lynn Kelly: B+

A good solid story about two people afraid to commit and how they fall in love despite that. It could be overdone, but Kelly does an excellent job of keeping it interesting. I liked the struggles Elise had with her family and her new business. I also liked the freakout they had when she could have been pregnant.

5. Because You Tempt Me by Beth Kery: C+

6. Gabriel’s Inferno by Sylvain Renard: F

7. Planning for Love by Christi Barth: B+

8. Playing for Keeps by R.L. Mathewson: B+

This book pinged on my radar because it's an enemies to friends to lovers.  LOL  It was definitely a cute set up.  Neighbours, a shy woman and an outgoing, hungry all the time guy can't stand each other.  When the heroine gets sick of how the hero kind of runs roughshod over her (and her flowers) she sticks up for herself and then these two end up becoming friends.  As such, Jason takes Haley under his wing.  He really enjoys spending time with her, his buddies like her...he just doesn't like when they mention how hot she is.  You can see where this goes, right?  The only downside to this was the editing.  It is self-published so there are some annoying errors, but the story drew me in so much I overlooked them.

9. Because of You by Jessica Scott: B

10. Almost a Scandal by Elizabeth Essex: B

11. Sway (Cherished) by Lauren Dane: B+

I love Lauren Dane's writing and I was really looking forward to reading this story for a while because it featured a May/December romance and I love those!!  Daisy is an artist who also teaches dancing on the side.  That's how her and Levi meet.  He's supposed to be taking lessons for someone's wedding.  He's entranced by Daisy immediately and soon enough these two begin sleeping together.  I felt that the hurdles Levi had to face in accepting his relationship with Daisy were believable.  And OMG these two were hot together.  Writing up this recap, I think I'm going to re-read their story.  LOL  Levi is definitely the kind of guy I could see myself being attracted to.  YUM.

12. Close Enough to Touch by Victoria Dahl: C

13. Mystery of the Tempest by Sam Cameron: B+

14. Annabella’s Diamond by Judith A. Lansdowne: B/B+

I really liked this one.  Annabella is shy and a wallflower and she's scared to go to London for another season.  Her friend and neighbour, nicknamed "the Diamond" decides to help her out.  He ends up falling for her himself.  :P  So cute.  That part I liked.  BUT the Diamond going to London is a big thing because something bad happened in his past and I felt that towards the end, that mystery overshadowed this sweet love story.   Like the mystery was really dark in comparison to the rest of the story.  But still, I recommend this one!

15. Between the Lines by Tammara Webber: B+
Review to come.

Grades:
A-1
B-10
C-3
F-1

Formats:
E-book-12
Print-2
Library-1

Genres:
Contemporary -9
Fantasy-1
Historical-3
New Adult-1
LGBT YA - 1

August is a month where I see a definite shift in what genres I'm reading.  From here on, I read a lot of contemporary romance.  I think to make up for the definite lack in 2011.  And I didn't read any m/m!!  Crazy town!  LOL  Again, barely anything from the tbr pile.  And mostly ebooks.  Yikes.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Ames, it's interesting because my reading also shifted in August. I read more from my TBR and less new releases. I also read more M/M Romance and almost no contemporaries -- so we switched around! I also went into a "blogging" slump after August. :( Read a lot, but did NOT feel like blogging... sigh... still in that slump. I'm hoping the New Year will give me a boost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed a decline in my blogging too. Hopefully we both get some momentum in the New Year. :P

      And I want to read more m/m!!

      Delete
  2. Once again, love the picture of your pups! They look really adventurous in that one! :)

    And wow, I keep picking up good books from your monthly recaps! :) I didn't know you read Never Stay Past Midnight! I heard good comments about that one, but was hesitant. Now I'm not :)

    And your reading is so steady, Ames!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been pleased with my monthly reads so far.

      Charlie didn't go swimming until she saw Max go in the water. She's a big chicken.

      Delete