Monday, December 17, 2012

M/M Monday Review: Where Nerves End by L.A. Witt

Where Nerves End by L.A. Witt
Published by Amber Allure in June 2012
Welcome to Tucker Springs, Colorado: Population, 70-something-thousand. Home to beautiful mountain views, two respected universities, and a ridiculously high cost of living.

Jason Davis can handle a breakup. And an overwhelming mortgage. And a struggling business. And the excruciating pain that keeps him up at night thanks to a shoulder injury. Handling all of it at once? Not so much. When his shoulder finally pushes him to a breaking point, he takes a friend’s advice and gives acupuncture a try.

Michael Whitman is a single dad struggling to make ends meet. When a mutual friend refers a patient, and that patient suggests a roommate arrangement to alleviate their respective financial strains, Michael jumps at the opportunity.

Living together would be easy if Jason wasn’t so damned attracted to Michael. Good thing Michael’s straight, or the temptation might just be too much.

Well, their mutual friend says Michael is straight…

Genre: M/M Romance
Series: Tucker Springs #1

My first introduction to Tucker Springs was actually with the second book, Second Hand.  I don't know why it escaped by attention that the books were connected but I can understand why it took me a while to read it.  I really enjoy L.A. Witt's writing so I hoard her books.  LOL  I don't want to read her books too quickly because I'm weird that way.  But since I'm anxious to read Dirty Laundry (which comes out in January yay!) I decided to tide myself over with Where Nerves End.

Jason has some stuff going on in his life.  He's in terrible pain almost all the time and he's afraid of his growing dependency on pain killers.  His business partner left him with a sinking ship.  And his ex left him with a mortgage which is hard to pay for when he's got his sinking ship (a club) to keep afloat.  His friend, a tattoo artist, suggests he go to an acupuncturist for the pain, but Jason doesn't believe in that mumbo jumbo.  However, after too many sleepless nights, he decides to check it out.  And that's how he meets Michael, the acupuncturist.

Michael is a single dad, who has to stay in Tucker Springs to be near his son, whom he has partial custody of.  Over the course of a few appointments with Jason, they realize they can kill a few birds with one stone - Michael can get cheap housing with Jason while Jason gets some help on his mortgage.  Win win.  And for Jason, who can't exactly afford the acupuncture sessions, living with the man does have its benefits.

However, Jason has quite the crush on Michael.  But Michael is straight.  Or is he?

I enjoyed this one.  I like how Jason and Michael became friends and how their lives meshed together.  And the acupuncture angle was very very interesting.  It did not overwhelm the story at all, it was delivered to the reader in a very organic way.  Which kind of negates how I didn't like Jason's very strong distrust in it at first.  That was a bit annoying.  But it sets it up perfectly for how it's explained to him, and then to us.  LOL

My other niggle with this story was Michael's reasoning about why he couldn't be with Jason.  I understand there needed to be some conflict to the story, but to me this was just a bit flimsy.

However, overall, I liked Jason and Michael's characters.  The day to day stuff they dealt with made them very real to me.  And no one can writing about two men kissing the way you do.  Rowr!  All that tension between these two was also very well done.

Solid B.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff Ames :) It's good that you keep finding m/m books that you enjoy and discovering new authors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is good. But it's tapered off lately because I haven't been blog hopping. :(

      Delete