Monday, January 21, 2013

M/M Monday Review: Falls Chance Ranch by Rolf & Ranger

* I didn't post at all last week and I resolved to do a better job this week.  This may be late but it's still Monday in my time zone dammit!  LOL*


Falls Chance Ranch by Rolf & Ranger
Online fiction published in 2009 (link - it's free!)
Are you worried about your executive?

Is he burned out?
Frazzled?
Less than stellar?

Is he an excellent employee that you don’t want to lose?

If the answer to those questions is an unqualified yes!, then you need to think about sending him to Falls Chance Ranch.

In a matter of weeks or months, we’ll turn around your executive and return him to you fit and ready to pick up the reins again.

Falls Chance is a working sheep ranch deep in the heartland of Wyoming. Your executives will be put to work on the ranch while we retrain bad habits into good ones.

Executives will remain on the ranch until we’re assured that they’re safe to return to their jobs. The average stay is eight weeks but can run shorter or longer depending upon the person.

Our program is completely confidential and has a highly proven track record.

Our graduates are in many of the top companies around the globe.
Genre:  ??  It's contemporary, it's got a developing romance, it's got some disciplinary aspects but I wouldn't term it BDSM in the way that other BDSM m/m is written...it is what it is!  LOL
Series:  Falls Chance Ranch #1

First of all, I don't even know how to categorize this book.  M/M Fiction?  Yeah, I think I can go with that term for now.

And second, that blurb is ugh.  Seriously, if it weren't for all the glowing reviews on goodreads, I would not have picked this up on that blurb alone.  Falls Chance Ranch is a word of mouth only kind of retreat.  So the blurb sounds like an advertisement...which is not how FCR works.  LOL  I can be picky, I admit it.

Ok, now onto the book and my thoughts.  To summarize, Dale is an executive for a big multinational company who has just had a bit of a mental breakdown.  He had a hallucination and the bigwigs are worried about him and are invested in him enough to want to get him back on his feet.  They send him to Falls Chance Ranch - a ranch where their brand of healing is a bit different.  They use discipline and boundaries to get a CEO back on track.  The men of FCR are Jasper, Riley, Paul and Flynn.  Flynn decides to take on Dale as a client, but as time passes, all the men realize that he's not like other clients.  He's also a 'brat,' their term for a sub.  Paul, Flynn and Jasper are all Doms.  Riley is also a brat, and he can see quicker than the others how they're treating Dale differently.  It all comes down to Dale:  will he get better?  And if he does, will he decide to stay at the Ranch?  Because he's definitely carving out a space in all the men's hearts.

I didn't go into this book with any expectations and I was blown away.  It's quite lengthy and it only took me two days to read it.  I was completely useless while reading it.  LOL  And for some odd reason, I felt emotionally vulnerable...like an eggshell.  I was very empathetic with Dale.  Because of circumstances of his youth and being a genius basically, he developed some bad habits that led to his breakdown.  But something about the journey he goes through, to discover himself, to learn how to deal with his issues, it all affected me.  I'm not saying I'm anything like Dale, but there's something about someone at the end of their rope that you just feel for them and want them to get better.  This book is deep.  It also had it's moments of humour.  One of the things Flynn has found out about Dale is that he keeps things in - his negative thoughts, his worries, and he chews over them and over-analyzes them to such a degree that he makes himself crazy and sometimes sick.  So Flynn tells Dale that he has to tell him and the others about stuff right away, not to keep it bottled up.  Here's a bratty way that Dale complies with that rule:
"I am going to pee." Dale said with a vicious courtesy, heading for the bathroom. "The thought crossed my mind approximately forty eight seconds ago, and in the interest of not withholding key information I felt I'd better notify you. I'm quite happy to supply it in writing or in triplicate."
Of course the guys couldn't let that slide!!

I flat out loved this book.  I even cried.  It featured something unique in the m/m genre that I haven't come across (to such a degree) and Dale and the other guys' story doesn't end there - I've already got the second book bookmarked.  It was deep, it had humour, I loved the characters and it hit me emotionally.  Total win, I can see why others love it so much.  I give Falls Chance Ranch an A.

Ugh, like any book I love I feel like my rambles don't do it any justice.  So just go read this book, you won't regret it!  Put any preconceived notions aside and just read this!

Photobucket

9 comments :

  1. Great review! Love this series... I hope you're reading the rest. Dale goes through so much... his journey is pretty powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on it, but no time yet. I can't wait though, I can't stop thinking about the guys! LOL

      Delete
  2. That was a wonderful review. I've read all the books that are available as well as the short side stories. They are all amazing. As soon as I finished reading the 4th book I turned right around and started reading it all over again from the beginning. Words cannot do this series justice. Actually there are no words to describe what wonderful writers Rolf and Ranger are. They have other series that are just as gripping such as The Brat and The Bodyguard. I highly recommend anything written by this duo. It's so worth it to take the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, thanks for stopping by!!

      And I totally agree, words cannot do this book justice. I'll probably be a mess reading the other books! And I'll make sure to check out the short stories and The Brat and the Bodyguard. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Wow, an A! This starts off the year very well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You flat out loved this book? I'm beginning my m/m romance gloam, lol! It happens for a while every year (I get in the mood). So, this one goes in my "to buy" pile right now! Thanks for the great review. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! I think you'll like this one. And bonus Hils, it's free!

      Delete
  5. Hills, the books are free online. You can move it to the top of the list :). You won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete